Saturday, June 27, 2015

Mego-style Blue Beetle...the Adventure Continues!

After the multiple Ted Kord appearances in "Convergence", I decided it was time to get back to work on my custom Mego-style figures. Since I'd made the decision a while back to work on secret identities first, the only one I hadn't tackled yet was Ted. Golden age Dan was easy...he was a cop. Silver age Dan was also a breeze...he was an archaeologist. Even Jaime was pretty simple. But Ted? Ted was a challenge! What is Ted? An inventor? A student? A CEO? An every man? All of them really, at one point or another. So taking my inspiration from the Paris Cullins/Len Wein run I came up with this...the every man in a lab coat!


Is it perfect? No...but it works for me...for now. I'm still relatively new at this, so I purchased the head and clothes from Figures Toy Company, but repainted the eyes/eyebrows a bit in an effort to give him a more Paris Cullins-like expression. I'll have plenty of time to learn the ins and outs of sculpting and sewing clothes when I move into part two of this project...



Here's a nice shot of Ted, reunited with his mentor and friend Dan Garrett.


There they are, Dan, Dan, Ted and Jaime...the Beetles! And there you have it, secret identities completed. Maybe I'll revisit them again when I get a hang of sculpting, but for the immediate future...heroes will be the next challenge! Wish me luck!


Once again, thanks again to Anthony Durso of the Toyroom for the awesome custom boxes!

1 comment: