Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The Fury of What The Kaji Dha Wednesday!

As an avid fan of The Fire And Water Podcast, I heard a few months ago about the cancelation of Firestorm*. To be honest I'd never really read a lot of Firestorm comics, and started listening to the podcast because of my love of Aquaman. After listening to the show for almost a year now though my interest in Firestorm has grown slightly. The passion that Shag (co-host of The Fire And Water Podcast and the man behind Firestorm Fan) spoke about the Nuclear Man sparked my curiosity. Maybe it was time, a bad time obviously but time nonetheless, to give Firestorm another chance. I mean beyond the occasional appearance in Justice League, or a company cross-over, I wasn't all that familiar with the character.



So, on May 4th, my birthday...and Free Comic Book Day...I walked into my local comic store and made up mind (thanks to a sale running while I was there) to give it a go! I picked up "Firestorm The Nuclear Man" #1 (1978), "The Fury Of Firestorm The Nuclear Man" #1 (1982), and "The Fury Of Firestorm The Nuclear Men: Vol 1 - The God Particle" the trade collecting the first arc of the New 52.

Guess what? Like Mikey and Life Cereal...I liked it! Well...I liked the 1978 first issue, I liked the 1982 book a little more...but the New 52 trade was the one I really liked! And I'll definitely be picking up more trades, and back issues over the next few months as I hit my local store, or a convention, or the web. I want to know what happens next!

This blog is going up on Wednesday May 22, 2013...the day the last issue of the current series of Firestorm is scheduled to hit the shelf. I guess it's a blessing and a curse. It stinks when your favorite character or title is canceled and disappears from view...as a fan of Aquaman and Blue Beetle I know this feeling well! On the other hand...if not for this cancelation I may never have picked up these books, so there is a silver lining Bradley Cooper could put in his playbook!**

Thank you DC for bringing this character back again and again...I can't wait to see what happens when he returns!

Thank you Shag, for introducing me to a new favorite!

And Firestorm? Farewell...for now...
 
*Ok...to be honest I heard about it before the podcast. Like any good comic fan I spend a fair amount of time surfing the web for updates and news about my favorite characters.
 
**see what I did there? Movie reference..."Silver Linings Playbook"? It was a surprisingly decent flick!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout-out and the support of Firestorm! Glad you are enjoying the character! Your blog rocks!

    The Irredeemable Shag

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a collection of the original series that you can probably still find on Amazon with a big discount. It was pretty good.

    Firestorm is the sort of character I lean towards collecting because it's so much easier than, say, Batman or Spider-Man who have 20 million comics to try to find. The nice part is you can usually track down the complete series at a decent cost; the downside is that if you really like a character you can get frustrated that there's nothing else to read or collect.

    ReplyDelete