Monday, November 4, 2013

Nick Cardy 1920-2013

I woke up this morning to see the sad news that comics legend Nick Cardy had passed away. As you may know from a few of my other posts, Aquaman is one of my favorite comic characters, and Nick was one of the early artists responsible for making the sea king great! Along with Aquaman, Cardy worked on the western series Bat Lash, early Teen Titans, House of Mystery, Batman, Superman and many, many more.

I had a chance to speak to Nick, very briefly, at the Baltimore Comic-Con a few years ago. He was very pleasant even though he was very busy, still highly sought after for commissions. I also spoke with his niece who was assisting him at the table. She told me how happy "Uncle Nick" was to be at the show and to see all the fans. Like I said...a brief encounter, but a very memorable one for me.

Here's one of my favorite Aquaman covers (Cardy drew the interiors of Aquaman from issue 1 to 39, and the covers from 1 to 56!), line art and color, done by Nick and featuring 2 of Aquaman's biggest foes...Black Manta and Ocean Master!

Rest in peace Mr. Cardy!

 

1 comment:

  1. Cardy and Fradon defined the look of Aquaman forevermore.

    ReplyDelete